Cherry Peach Crumb Bars
A couple of days after we got back from our trip to Boston was Lammas. Fortunately, one of my sisters was hosting – so I didn’t have to try and have the house all guest ready after being gone for two weeks, but I wanted to bring something to share. I had a bunch of peaches that I’d received in my weekly box, so I went looking for a quick and easy recipe to use them up that would be reasonably finger friendly.
I trolled around Tastespotting for a little while, and eventually came across this recipe from The Art of Two Tarts. Because I was in a little bit of a hurry that morning before Lammas, I followed the recipe as stated, only subbing more peaches for the blueberries and saved the tinkering for when I had a little more time. When I received even more peaches in this week’s FFTY box (I love peach season… Yum!) I decided to revisit this recipe and make a few modifications. The original recipe is quite good – it received rave reviews at Lammas, with all the bars being devoured. But you know me – I can’t help but fidget with something until I make it my own.
It’s been harder to get in to the kitchen with the camera to take pictures of everything lately. Miss Thing’s extracurriculars are currently having practice EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, (yes, please shoot me) and it’s really crimping my dinner style. We’ve had Pasta more frequently lately than is probably good for us simply because when we get home at 8:30, it’s one of the only thing that can be made up in a reasonable amount of time. In addition to the practices, we’ve also had the distraction of new kittehs to keep me busy. They’re growing so fast! We still haven’t decided on names, and if it goes much longer we might just have to default to the names the Foster Mom gave them, since “Black one” and “White one” seems kinda silly. Our neighbor came over yesterday and gave us a four-level Cat Tree. He’d bought it for his cat, but the cat didn’t end up liking it so he offered it to us. As soon as it came in the house, the two kittehs were crawling all over it, chasing each other up and down it. It was awesome. The best part of having two kittens is watching them play together. It’s hillarious. If you’d like to see more pictures and stuff about the kittehs, check out this post, there are some really cute pics.
Anyways, back to the recipe I suppose. The biggest change I made to the recipe was to substitute Brown Sugar for the white sugar in the crust, which I think made for a nicer texture than the first batch I made. I also increased the fruit by 1 cup with the addition of the chopped cherries. I happened to have 4 cups exactly of sliced peaches, and 1 cup of cherries I wanted to use up. To offset, I added a little bit of additional Cornstarch. Overall, I think they came out excpetional.
- 4 cups of diced Peaches (about 2lbs)
- 1 cup Chopped Pitted Cherries
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt, divided
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Chopped Pecans (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 375°
- Line a 9″x13″ Baking Pan with Parchment Paper
- In a medium bowl, stir together the Peaches, Cherries, Cornstarch, Vanilla, Balsamic Vinegar and 1/4 tsp of the Kosher Salt. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, remaining kosher salt and baking powder
- Cut in the the butter and egg until mixture forms soft crumbs
- Divide dough in to thirds. Reserve 1/3 and set aside
- Press remaining 2/3′rds in to the bottom of the baking pan
- Spread fruit mixture on top of the dough
- Mix chopped pecans in to the reserved 1/3 of the dough
- Sprinkle on top of the fruit
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden
- Cool completely before cutting in to bars