The other night, Mr. Man and I were up late, okay, we’re almost always up late. But this time, he was working on a big push for work. It had gotten late – and we were both getting hungry, so I poked around in the fridge to see what we had left that needed to be used up. I found the cucumbers from this week’s FFTY box, along with a couple of tomatoes, some basil, and a fair amount of curly parsley that had been hiding in the back of the fridge – and I decided to try making a Tabouleh – only instead of Bulgar Wheat, which I wasn’t really in the mood for, I decided to try using quinoa.
Quinoa has become one of my favorite grains lately – it cooks up quickly, has a nice texture, and is full of proteins and fiber. It’s replaced brown rice as my go-to grain for tossing with veggies for one-pot meals. And, because it’s quick cooking (15 minutes or so) it’s perfect for getting a meal on the table in a hurry, which naturally made it perfect for the other night.
Even better was the fact that while the quinoa was cooking, I was able to prep up the rest of the ingredients, throwing together a healthy meal in under 30 minutes*. (Not to sound like Rachel Ray or anything…) Which left us a little time for post-food teeeveee veggin time, which was totally what Mr. Man needed for unwinding after that long evening. I had kind of toyed with making something a little more ambitious that night, but this ended up working out much better.
*Not including Picture-taking time…
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 and 1/2 cups Broth
- 1 Lemon; juiced
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley; finely Minced
- 2 tbs Basil; finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic; finely minced
- 2 tomatoes; cut in to 1″ chunks
- 2 cucumbers; cut in to 1″ chunks
- 4 oz Paneer; cut in to 1/2″ chunks
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Bring the Broth and kosher salt (to taste) to a simmer in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid
- Rinse the quinoa until water runs clear and drain
- Add the quinoa to the broth, cover and reduce heat
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed all of the broth
- Remove from heat and stir in the garlic.
- Cover and allow to sit for a minute or so until garlic is tender
- Transfer quinoa and garlic to a bowl.
- Allow to sit (stirring if desired) until cooled enough that the quinoa won’t cook the tomatoes and cucumbers
- Stir in the Lemon juice and olive oil
- Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, paneer, herbs, and additional kosher salt (if desired, to taste) and gently toss to combine
- Serve immediately or chill and serve cold