Bacon Wrapped Yukon Gold Potatoes
Last night, dinner was a simple affair of meat, potatoes, salad… or so it would appear on the surface. Mr. Man fired up the grill last night for the first time in many months, and we had a sublime steak to accompany these perfectly delicious little bacon wrapped yukon gold potatoes. The inspiration for these potatoes came from this post for Crash Hot Potatoes that I saw on I Cook Stuff. I’d seen the Crash Hot Potatoes before over on Pioneer Woman – and had filed it away for a “maybe someday” type of recipe, but well – adding bacon to the mix increased the awesome factor signifigantly. I figured that if adding a little bacon was awesome, wrapping the potatoes would be awesome++.
I didn’t have any red potatoes – so I used the Yukon Gold potatoes I received in this week’s FFTY box – they were a little bigger than I might have liked for a dish like this – I had wanted to make them a little more wedge shaped or so – but I didn’t have quite enough bacon to do exactly what I wanted – so I’ll save that for next time. The nice thing about this dish (aside from the fact that it’s you know… wrapped in bacon) is that you can cook, prep and wrap your potatoes before hand, and then when ready, throw them in the oven to finish cooking. When I first saw this recipe – I thought that would be a negative… (It’s a two step cooking process… meh, too fussy for a weeknight meal!) but I was wrong. They were dead easy. They really were the perfect accompaniment to a nice juicy, steak – kind of like an inside out baked potato or something.
The only thing that didn’t quite come together for dinner yesterday is that we didn’t quite get dinner all finished in time to enjoy it outside. We have had such lovely, warm weather recently – and I’m really ready to start eating outside on the patio again. Of course, we need to sweep the patio… and I think the lawn needs mowed, and there’s some leaves in the pool that need to be cleaned up… You know – nevermind. Eating at the dining room table is just fine.
- 5 Yukon Gold Potatoes; washed and cut in halve (about 2lbs)
- 5 strips of Thick Cut Bacon; cut in half to make 10 half-strips
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salted Water for boiling
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with 1-2 inches of salted water
- Cover and bring to a boil
- Cook potatoes until almost fork-tender
- Carefully transfer potatoes to a strainer (I recommend against just dumping them, because you don’t really want them crushed just yet)
- Allow potatoes to cool a few minutes, or until safe to touch
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Take the cooled potatoes and wrap the bacon around each one – secure with a toothpick if neccessary
- Place wrapped potatoes on a baking sheet, cut side down
- Smoosh the potatoes down a little bit to allow the bacon flavor to penetrate the entire potato
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bacon is crispy and potatoes are lightly browned
- Sprinkle with Cheese while still warm