Sausage Biscuit Pizza Bake
When I was young, my mom would sometimes make “homemade” (cough) pizza made from one of those box mixes (chef boyardee? I think?) I always liked it because unlike when we ordered pizza (on the cheap – single mom, donchyaknow – money was tight) we could always put as much topping on it as we wanted. When I moved out on my own, I discovered why we didn’t have those little box mixes very often when I was growing up – the little suckers are expensive! Not that I would really buy them now, but it did serve as the inspiration for last night’s dinner.
(For a more fuller explanation of why dinner was king of late and the salad recipe I served with this go here) I had forgotten to make up some pizza dough earlier in the week, unfortunately – and I was faced with two hungry teen girls and a hungry Mr. Man with the clock ticking down late in the evening. Fortunately, I did have a batch of pizza sauce in the fridge, and some italian sausage already laid out. When I thought nostalgicly of those old box pizzas from my childhood, I realized that the “crust” from those days was really more like a biscuit than a true pizza dough… which gave me a flash of inspiration. I may not have any true pizza dough, but I did have all the neccessary ingredients for biscuits. So I threw this little number together.
It came out vaguely like a pan pizza, but really it’s kind of it’s own dish as well. Best part is, it came together in about a half an hour. Was it the best thing evar? Not really – but it was pretty good, it was fast, and it was easy. Next time I might use a little more sauce though – it did come out just a tad… biscuit-y.
- 1.5 lbs Italian Sausage; crumbled and browned
- 2 cups Smooth Marinara Sauce
- 8 oz Mozzarella Cheese; Shredded
- 5 oz Whole Wheat Flour
- 5 oz All Purpose Flour
- 4 tsps Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbls Butter + extra for buttering pan
- 2 tbls Shortening
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- Preheat Oven to 400°
- Butter a 9″x13″ baking pan
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Cut Shortening and Butter in to flour, until the mixture forms soft crumbs
- Form a well in the center of the flour mixture
- Pour the buttermilk in to the well, stir until the dough just barely comes together – dough will be sticky
- Gently pat the dough out in to the buttered pan
- Leaving an inch of space around the edge of the pan, top the dough with Marinara Sauce, crumbled Sausage and Mozzarella Cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is browned