Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Key Lime Curd and Honey Whipped Cream
The rain came back again today, which made me sad, but fortunately I had a lot of things to keep me busy today that helped distract me from the doom and gloom. (I like my rain in very small doses – the last several weeks have been way overdose). Anyhow, the reason I was so busy was because we were having guests over for dinner. Miss Thing has a friend who’s mom and I always seemed to hit it off pretty well every time we’ve talked. After several conversations that ended with “We’ll have to get together sometime!” We finally said “Okay, we’re having dinner!” lol
Sadly, her Mister Man is a vegetarian, which ixnayed the majority of my main dishes, so instead I did a variation on the Garlic Lemon Pasta I’ve been really loving lately, and served it with chicken on the side. However, for dessert I got a little creative, and decided to use the Key Limes I’d picked up on a whim at the grocery store the other day. I had been toying with the idea of making some sort of key lime pie, or perhaps a coconut cream key lime pie, but when I was talking with her, she’d mentioned something about bringing Chocolate Ice Cream, so I wanted to have a dish that would be more flexible to including the Ice Cream than a pie would be. The pound cake was just the ticket, since it could easily go with key lime or with ice cream. She ended up forgetting the ice cream, which was okay because the key lime curd was so incredible, I’m pretty sure it would have gone to waste anyways.
Brown Sugar Pound Cake Ingredients:
- 2 sticks Butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
Brown Sugar Pound Cake Method:
- Preheat Oven to 350°
- Butter/Grease, and flour, two loaf pans
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder
- Begin Creaming together the butter and the shortening. When thoroughly combined, add the sugar.
- Cream until thoroughly combined
- Add the eggs one at a time, until all combined. Stir in Vanilla.
- In batches, gradually add the flour and the milk to the mixture; alternating between the milk and the flour.
- When fully combined, divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until butter knife inserted in to the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve with Key Lime Curd and Honey Whipped Cream if desired
Key Lime Curd Ingredients:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 and 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Key Lime Juice and Zest
- 1 and 1/2 sticks butter; cut in to pieces and chilled
Key Lime Curd Method:
- Bring a saucepan with an inch or so of water in it to a simmer over medium heat
- In a heat-safe bowl that will fit inside of the saucepan (recommend Stainless Steel), whisk together egg yolks and sugar until fully combined
- Whisk in the Key Lime juice and Zest and then place bowl over the saucepan to form a double boiler
- Gently heat the Key Lime mixture, whisking constantly, until mixture coats the back of a spoon
- Remove from heat and begin whisking in the butter, one piece at a time – returning mixture to heat as neccessary to keep it warm enough to melt the butter.
- When fully combined, transfer to a jar or other vessel and refrigerate until completely chilled (1-2 hours) or overnight. Curd will thicken as it cools. Serve with crackers and cheese, on toast, bread or with Brown Sugar Pound Cake and Honey Whipped Cream.
Honey Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 and 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, Very Cold
- 1/4 cup Honey
Honey Whipped Cream Method:
- Using a stand mixer or hand beater, whip together cream and honey until thickened and peaks form.
- Serve Immediately.
- If not serving immediately, whip for a minute or so longer for a thicker, sturdier cream and refrigerate. Use within 24 hours.