Refrigerator Pickled Garlic
I loooooooove Pickled Garlic. If I’m not careful, I’ve been known to eat more than half of a jar of it in one sitting. Which is bad for a couple of reasons – but one of them is, the stuff is expensive to use as a snack. I’ve seen small jars selling for $8 or more. Since I was trying out making Mr. Man some hot sauce, I thought it would be a good time to try out making pickled garlic as well, since the ageing time is about the same. If this little experiment goes well, the hot sauce and the garlic, I might just have to consider getting some specialized equipment and actually try canning.
I’ll update in a couple of weeks to tell how it went.
Update – 2/20/09 – Sampled the garlic earlier this week (appx 4 weeks in the fridge), and found that it still had a bit of a “raw” bite, so I’m going to let it go for a few more weeks and try it again.
- 1 – 16 oz glass Jar full of peeled garlic cloves; approximately 4 heads
- 1 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/8 cup white wine
- 1 tbls Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tbls Soy Sauce
- Warm Cider Vinegar, white wine, kosher salt and Soy over low heat until salt is dissolved
- Set aside and allow to cool
- Pour Vinegar mixture over Garlic Cloves
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 weeks, or until desired flavor is attained